Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Uncle Bill

So amongst more bad news, my uncle Bill was diagnosed with prostate cancer just after Christmas, and is now recovering from his first surgery. The cancer had metastasized to his bone, so the doctors wanted to do a prophylactic surgery on his femur, in order to strengthen it and prevent future breaks ... what I'm guessing is the first step in a very long process.

They inserted a titanium rod to strengthen the bone, and (I'm guessing here) exculped or "excavated" the area, removing the weak, cancer-damaged bone. As a load-bearing bone, it makes sense to strengthen it by adding a titanium rod, which I'm guessing was serrated with microbeads or some other rough matrix, which, after a time, will allow his bone to grow into it, making his femur much stronger.

I need to research this a little and find out more of what they're doing, but for now, he's fine, in the hospital.

Prayers asked for. More information later.

0 comments: