Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Posts - more life being thrown my way

It's been months and months and months since I've worked up the energy to post anything here. Call me a slave to trends - I guess the blogging thing ran its course with me when my real job began and reality intruded. I have to get stuff done now, and that's serious.

The Wire's new season is about 5 episodes in, and although it started with such promise, it's dragging at this point, and I can see all the journalists' points - their criticism is ringing true to me. David Simon's crusade is bitter and angry - which I love - but so far lacks a little depth and realism. But I have faith he'll right the ship yet, I just want it to happen fast.

Daily "Wire" commentary on Slate.com ...

... and a great article on David Simon on The Atlantic Online.

Went ahead and bought David Simon's heralded book "Homicide" too, thought I could get to it after all of these Graham Greene books. Man, my eyes are always bigger than my stomach/time/energy. I guess that could be considered a good thing, I dunno.

I need to get back to work, but quickly -

The Shipwrecked, or England Made Me, was decent ... but raw, and the ending was unsatisfying. Not sure if Greene was trying to write the "pop" novel, but it moved too fast adn was too obviously a dig at Disney and other coporate men, without an ultimate message. It started off grand and just metered out.

The Man Within - his first novel ever - was idealistic and overwrought and melodramatic. But I'm still glad I read it - you can hear the 21-year-old Greene coming out through it, and it's comforting to know that the 21-year-old Greene was as much of a romantic fool as I was at that age (and maybe still am).

Back to work.

-J

0 comments: